Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Doctors Appointment Update

Just got home from my 500 millionth doctor's appointment! The monitoring went great today and Carson looked fabulous. He had the hiccups during monitoring...it was pretty funny to feel them and see them on the ultrasound machine simultaneously. My doctor "checked" everything today and I was surprised to learn that I am 1.5 cm dilated! Unfortunately, my doctor said that it's not much of a predictor as to when I will go into labor. He said that he once had a patient that walked around at 4 cm dilated for four weeks! But it was nice to know that at least there is some progression in that direction. I also got to meet one of my doctor's partners today, Dr. Sakon. He was very, very nice. I learned that my doctor and all of his partners did their residency together at Vanderbilt, so he assured me that the other two doctors would very likely do exactly as he would in whatever situation labor presents me with. This was very comforting! We are planning to let Carson make his exit on his own terms, so it seems to me that we'll be well taken care of no matter who ends up being our doctor on that day.
Time marches on....On Friday we have another ultrasound for the purpose of measuring the baby's size and growth. I will be interested to see how big they think he is. I think he grew a lot today. At some points today, I thought the skin on my stomach was going to pull right off of my body because it was stretching SO much! Never mind the fact that the baby did the Roger Rabbit in my pelvis all day while I tested patients.
We'll update on Friday with his estimated "stats" from the appointment. Personally, I think he's going to be a big boy.

7 comments:

Megan Recker said...

Yay Court! Only 8.5 cm to go! He'll be here before you know it! :)

Unknown said...

I'm sure he'll be "husky", just like his daddy ;) LOVE YOU!

Barb said...

Jennifer, he wasn't "husky", he was just big boned!! ;) Say all you want you guys, but I think he is going to be PERFECT no matter what size he is! We are getting SO close!! YIPEE! Give Carson a love pat from Grandma Barbie and tell him she cannot wait to finally meet him!! And Court, I do think you are, without a doubt, the cutest pregnant lady I've ever seen! I love you!!

silly stille said...

Hooray for dilation! That rocks. I'm glad you feel more comfortable after meeting the other doctors in the office. I loved my OB but managed to keep my cool when I realized I was going to be delivered by Dr. "Jimmy" (nobody can pronounce his super long Indian last name). I can't say that that part mattered all that much to me. As long as you trust that you are in good hands- you, Jason and Carson will be golden!!

Jason Smith said...

I'd like to thank my sister and my mother for indirectly calling me fat. Love you both too!

Kath said...

It will be here before you know it...let the 2:00 am parties in Carson's room begin! 1.5 is a good sign in most cases...unless you are me...who walked around dialated to a FIVE and A HALF for THREE WEEKS with Porter. The child could have just walked out...no idea what his problem was. They finally induced me at 38 weeks because I don't think they wanted him to just fall out with no notice. 1.5 is a fantastic number-good work!

our Family said...

hey Courtney!!!
you look fantastic!! I am so happy to hear that you are feeling good. Lauren is having a scheduled c-section on May 15 (she has had a few issues this pregnancy -but doing fine now) -- so maybe you guys will deliver on the same day!
I'll be thinking of you these next few weeks!
Beth